Thursday, October 29, 2009

Yes, it is 3 in the morning; yes, I am at church; no, I am NOT crazy.

Recently, I began attending Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration at my parish. At 3am. Now, most people look at me like I am crazy. But it is, without a doubt the most spiritual thing I have ever done.

For one hour each week, I am alone with our Lord. Just me and him. I don't have to worry about bills or work. It is a reminder to me, that Jesus is always there, patiently waiting for us. That although we may wander away from him, he never wanders from us and like the story of the prodigal son, he rushes to greet us when we finally return to him.

And, at 3 in the morning, the world is a very peaceful place. No planes, no cars, nothing. It is quite dark, but that adds to my peace of mind. The windows are dark, no voices, no distractions. It is the most peaceful place anyone could ever imagine. and at the center watching over us all, is Jesus.


My faith has grown by leaps and bounds.

I take my G1 with me and plug in the earphones sometimes. I listen to either one of William Carrolls lectures on the lives of a saint, or lately to ArchBishop Fulton Sheen's Life is worth Living. And sometimes I just sit in the quiet and pray. My Knights of Columbus Rosary is always with me, I always say it when I am there, in the quiet I can really meditate on the scripture passages I read with it, the lives of Jesus, Mary and all the Saints.

I guess this makes me an "extreme" Catholic. But I don't care. Most people look at me and say "We'll if that's what you want to do". It is, and I am glad I am doing it.

3 comments:

Spence Ohana said...

That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

That is WAY cool!
And quite challenging to those of us who rarely find time in our busy lives to be still in prayer for any length of time.
Thanks!

Patty Bonds said...

Adoration is an apostolate of reparation. You're not crazy at all.

I listen to Gregorian Chant. His Presence and Heaven's music.